Monday, January 28, 2013

Strategy #9: Weigh yourself

Weigh yourself

     Weighing yourself can be nerve wrecking but it is a necessary component of a healthy lifestyle. I know there were times I intentionally avoided the scale because I did not want to see the number that would show up on it. I remember going to the doctor's office and getting shocked over my weight. I can remember my palms getting a little sweaty because I knew my doctor was going to discuss the issue. Low and behold, he always did! Anyway, one day I realized knowing how much I weigh now was the beginning of a journey of self love. I went and bought an analog bathroom scale for about $6, stepped on that baby and with a lot of love reassured myself that from here onward it was just going to get better! I must say, this will go down in my personal history book as one of my best "under $10" purchases.
           So if you do not have a bathroom scale go and buy one today.When you are trying to get and maintain a healthy weight you need to know where you stand now. Weigh yourself at least once a week so you can visualize your progress. Weigh yourself at about the same time every week and jot it down in your food diary or on a calendar. Don't panic over weight increases of less than 5 lb, seriously you cannot weigh the same exact weight everyday. There will be some fluctuations sometimes. However, if the increases are above 5 lb check what you have been eating. Most of the time that is where the issue is if you are an otherwise healthy individual. 
             When you decide to buy a bathroom scale you may become inundated by all the options there are out there. If you are on a shoe string budget stick to the small, analog kind. I have graduated from this kind to the digital one but I still didn't spend more than $20 on it (here is a similar one). It still does the basic job I bought it for. If you want one that has other bells and whistles, there is one out there for you. Basically, there is no excuse for not having one because there's a scale out there to suit every kind of budget.


















 

1 comment: